Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Trio Marble Cake


One thing about starting to cook once again is that my time is used wisely.  At least I think so.  I still surf the net for my teaching materials and resources, like I used to, because I do spend hours collecting, adapting, creating and developing my own teaching resources. And now on top of that, I also spend hours surfing the net for recipes; and that is also how I came upon this beautiful cake by Chef Mat Gebu (nice cake, by the way!)  

I have always made cakes that are easy to prepare, preferably all-in-ones, and so I find the recipe a little too finicky (but I mean that in a good way!)  However, I decided to give it a try just for the sheer beauty of the cake!  But I took the liberty to prepare the batter as for a normal cake (thousand apologies!)  And since, there are only four of us in the house, I also took the liberty to half the quantities of the ingredients (as CMG mentioned!)  Because, in all modesty, my old loaf pan can only fit that much (yes, a sign to invest in new baking utensils!  Sigh!)  

150g butter
140g flour
1/2 tbs milk powder (I omitted it because I didn't have any!)
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 small eggs
1 tsp ovalette (cake stabiliser)
125g castor sugar (I used soft brown sugar)
25ml fresh milk
3/4 tsp chocolate emulco
1/2 tsp strawberry emulco
A few drops rose essence
A tint of pink coloring (I omitted it because the strawberry emulco had enough color!)

Grease and line the loaf pan.  Sift the flour and baking powder three times and set aside.  Beat the eggs, milk  and ovalette and set aside.  Now, beat the sugar and butter until fluffy and creamy, then, fold in three batches the flour and egg mixture.  Stir in the rose essence.

Divide the batter into three equal portions (if that's ever possible!) and put in separate bowls.  Mix the chocolate emulco in one and the strawberry emulco in the other.  Leave the third one plain.  Now, spoon 2 tbs of the plain batter at the bottom of the loaf pan, followed by the strawberry flavored batter and the chocolate one.  Continue this process until you have used up all the batter.  I baked mine in a 160 C oven for 40 minutes.

Even without any decorations, the cake looked too beautiful eat.  But that didn't stop it from disappearing! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment