Sunday, October 25, 2015

Brussel Sprouts Kung Pao

Star Q


I had just gotten down from the bus and was making my way to the car booth sale nearby when I chanced upon a plot of land where someone, obviously with both of his (or her) thumbs green in colour, had obviously planted rows of vegetables.  And among them was this one healthy plant of brussel sprouts, standing proud, clamouring for attention.

I was really intrigued because I had previously seen brussel sprouts only in foreign magazines and cookbooks and the sight of that veg really got me excited about trying to cook it.  I tried cooking it in a variety of ways, mostly how the foreign magazines suggested them to be cooked.

But I had recently bought a pack of brussel sprouts (more due to my curiosity in trying something new out of it than anything else)  I decided to give it a bit of a local twist, just to see how my family would respond to it.  And so that was how Brussel Sprouts Kung Pao came to be!

  • 100 g chicken breast, thinly sliced *
  • 1 tsp oyster sauce *
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper *
  • 4 tbs vegetable oil
  • 20 brussel sprouts, halved and cleaned
  • 6 dried chilies, cut into 3 cm lengths
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp minced ginger
  • 1 cup dry-roasted cashew nuts
  • 6 dried chilies, cut into 3 cm lengths 
  • 5 baby corn, sliced
  • 1/4 tsp sesame seed oil
  • 1 tbs hoisin sauce
  • 1/2 tbs light soy sauce
  • 1/2 tbs fish sauce
  • 1/4 tsp sugar

Mix the first three ingredients together and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.   
Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and fry the dried chilies until crispy.  Dish out and set aside.  Next, fry the marinated chicken pieces until cooked, and set aside.  Next, fry the brussel sprouts for about one minute, then add the garlic and ginger.  Stir in the last four ingredients along with the cooked chicken.  Allow sauce to simmer until brussel sprouts are slightly tender and sauce has reduced slightly.  Add in the baby corn, cashew nuts and dried chilies, stirring until well mixed.  Before turning off the heat, stir in the sesame seed oil.  Serve hot.







No comments:

Post a Comment