Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Easy Peasy Mini Chicken Pot Pie

Star Q


I have watched many celebrity chefs making this pie and I have always thought of it as something delicious, especially when I see these celebrity chefs digging into a bowl of steaming pot pie with lip-smacking gusto!

I have always wanted to make it but the problem with making this pie is the puff pastry.  It is getting more and more difficult to get my hands on ready-made puff pastry let alone a good one.  They used to have this good-sized 12 inch by 12 inch puff pastry but now they don't even have the small 3 inch by 3 inch ones.

Well, it didn't take me much encouragement when the supermarket finally had some puff pastry in the freezer, albeit only a few packets and the small version.  I couldn't wait to make my chicken pot pies and since the pastry was 3 inch by 3 inch, I was contented to make the mini versions.

Individual portions or portion control, whatever you want to call, I was happy I finally got a chance to make four mini bowls of pot pies.  I was even happier when, even though they were supposed to be shared among the two of us at home, I only managed to get one while the other three...!

  • 4 pieces 3-inch x 3-inch puff pastry
  • 1 cup diced cooked chicken
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup petit pois 
  • 1/2 cup diced carrots
  • 2 cups cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp chili flakes
  • A pinch of dried rosemary
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten

Heat the butter in a pan and saute the onion.  Once translucent, stir in the carrots and chili flakes for a minute then add in the chicken.  Add the cream of chicken soup, stir in the water and bring to a boil then simmer gently for a minute.  Next, add the petit pois, corn kernels and rosemary and continue to simmer gently until mixture has thickened.  Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile preheat oven to 200 C.  Spoon the pot pie filling into four individual bowls.  Take a piece of the puff pastry, roll until slightly larger than the rim of the bowl, trim the edges of the pastry and cut out a hole in the center using a biscuit cutter.  Brush the rim of the bowl, place the pastry onto the bowl and stick the edges to rim.  Repeat process with the rest of the pastry and bowls.  Bake for about 20 minutes until pastry has puffed and golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment