Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Kohlrabi Pancakes

Star Q


I was busy choosing some vegetables to stock up in the fridge last Saturday, when someone beside me asked me about the strange looking vegetable (to him, not to me!) I was holding in my hand.  Even the vegetable seller did not know the name of the vegetable.  So, when I answered 'kohlrabi', he frowned at me, as did a few other people around us.

Kohlrabi is not a new vegetable to me.  I have given it a try many moons ago and have never thought of giving it another try because I don't really find its bland taste interesting, which makes it one of my least favorite vegetables.  However, I went ahead and bought the vegetable that day to give my family a chance to taste it.

Like I said, to me kohlrabi is not an interesting vegetable.  The last time I cooked it, I merely stir fried it like any ordinary vegetable with some garlic, shallots, chilies and chicken.  But this time, I thought of turning it into mini pancakes.

  • 1 medium kohlrabi, skinned and grated
  • 1 medium carrot, grated
  • 1 spring onion, sliced
  • 4 tbs AP flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tsp anchovy stock granules
  • 3 tbs butter

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients, except the butter, thoroughly.  Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pan, and using a tablespoon, drop mixture onto the pan and slightly flatten using back of the spoon.  Cook about three minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your pancakes.  Once cooked, dish out and serve hot with some sun-dried tomato mayonnaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment