Sunday, January 10, 2016

Chicken Curry with Crepes. Why not!

Star Q


Sunday is usually a day of rest; of being lazy and trying to avoid doing all the things that I usually do doing the rest of the week.  I always think that I have the whole Sunday to think about the things I want to do and the food I want to cook, but when I really come down to thinking about it, that's all it is; think!

I had actually made come crepes that morning and had wanted to have them with some strawberry compote I made a few days ago.  But the thought of having something sweet to start my Sunday did not really appeal to me.  I thought why not have them with something savory (all that thinking and the time was already 10.00 a.m.! Brunch!)

I did want to make some chicken curry for lunch, so I thought why not have the crepes with chicken curry.  After all chicken curry has been missing from my menu for quite some time now, since my kids just don't like it.  Chicken curry with crepes; I thought, why not!

  • 1/2 a chicken, cut into manageable portions
  • 1 packet meat curry powder
  • 2 tbs cumin, dry roasted and ground
  • 2 tbs coriander, dry roasted and ground
  • 2 large onions, sliced, fried to caramelize
  • 5 shallots, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 thumb size ginger, sliced into matchsticks
  • 1 tbs dried-chili paste
  • 2 carrots, cut to 3-cm lengths
  • 200 ml coconut cream
  • 750 ml water
  • 1 sprig curry leaf
  • 2 pieces asam gelugor
  • 4 tbs vegetable oil

Heat the vegetable oil in a pot.  Saute the shallots, garlic, ginger and curry leaf.  Mix the curry powder with 3 tbs of the water along with the chili paste and add to the pot.  Fry until aromatic and the oil rises to the surface of the mixture.  Immediately add the chicken pieces.  When the chicken is half-cooked add the carrots and pour in the coconut cream and water.  Bring to a boil then simmer gently until carrots are almost tender.  Add the asam gelugor and season with some salt.  Simmer for another minute and the curry is ready to be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment