Monday, June 6, 2016

Lala Kimchi

Star Q


I have always wanted to prepare a few Korean dishes but have never had the exposure of any sort to them.  Even when there is this new Korean food outlet in one of the malls in the state capital, I am still unable to sample any of them because most of them contain seafood which I am somewhat allergic to.


And then there are the various cooking show on television which highlight Korean dishes.  Unfortunately most of the ingredients are those that I cannot acquire here in this town which was once happily called 'The Cowboy town!".

I have created a few dishes using the ubiquitous Kimchi in my previous entries, but I need more to use up the new batch that I unwillingly bought!  Fortunately I saw this recipe in a newspaper.  I decided to give it a try (with my own twist as usual)  It didn't really matter if I was able to eat seafood!

  • 1 kg clams (or locally known as 'Lala'), cleaned
  • 1/4 cup kimchi, thinly sliced
  • 2 tbs kimchi juice
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 5 birds eye chilies, thinly sliced
  • 1 tbs Sriracha
  • 1 shallot, sliced 
  • 2 tbs fish stock
  • 1 tbs light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp anchovy stock granules
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 1 spring onion, sliced, to garnish

In a wok, heat the oil.   Once the oil is hot, saute the birds eye chilies, shallot and garlic.  Once aromatic, stir in the Kimchi juice, Sriracha, fish stock, soy sauce and anchovy granules.  Allow this to come to a quick boil.  Then add in the 'Lala'.  The 'Lala' is ready and cooked when they open up.  Garnish with sliced spring onions.

Note : The Kimchi dish was accompanied with Kerabu Daun Selom (top) and Talapi Masak Asam Tempoyak (bottom)


No comments:

Post a Comment