Sunday, September 18, 2016

Gulai Lemak Petai Kikis

Star Q



I really have to thank a friend for reminding me of this very old and traditional recipe.  I have actually forgotten about this dish, one which my mum used to make with different types of fish be they fresh water fish or your normal everyday fish caught from the sea.


I must admit that I was intrigued to make this dish, not because the ingredients were all on hand but that it also reminded me of my mum.  I have always credited my mum for her ingenuity in creating dishes mostly out of necessity; they say that necessity is the mother of invention.

I realize that this dish is not one which she created solely on her own, but when you are young, you think the world of your mum.

  • 4 catfish, smoked
  • 1/2 cup birds eye chilies *
  • 3 shallots *
  • 1 inch fresh turmeric *
  • 500 ml coconut milk
  • 250 ml water
  • 3 pieces Asam Keping
  • 2 planks Stinky Beans
  • Salt to taste

Pound all ingredients marked (*) and place in a pot.  Mix half of the coconut milk with the water, pour into the pot together with the pounded ingredients and slowly bring to a gentle simmer with a low flame.  Once simmering, add in the rest of the coconut milk, the asam keping, the smoked catfish and salt.  Bring to a simmer once again, then add the stinky beans.  Simmer for another minute or so, and it is ready to serve.

Note : Cut each plank of stinky beans into five or six segments.  Each segments should have three or four beans.  Carefully scrape the skin of the planks without exposing the stinky beans.  

No comments:

Post a Comment